Wednesday, January 3, 2024

To Invest, Start With Lunch

This is a non-investment post.  Sharing a sneak peek on my life.

Working in the Central Business District has its advantages and disadvantages.  One advantage is that transportation is convenient, since it lies in the heart of the city.  If you like crowds, you will always find a lively atmosphere here during the daytime.  Just visit Raffles Place.

One disadvantage is that things tend to be expensive, for example, food.  Eating at a restaurant costs no less than 10 bucks.  Even takeaways cost north of 6 dollars.  For me, I usually take a walk to Hong Lim Food Centre at Upper Cross Street.  There is a particular economic rice stall that I usually patron.


This is my lunch for today.  Four dishes and rice cost only $3.60.  What a steal!

I usually bring my tupperware to pack lunch so that I can skip the Styrofoam box and cut down on environmental waste.  Additionally, I bring my mug to another stall to get my kopi siew dai.  It is my lunchtime fix, and it costs $1.  Yup, Starbucks doesn't get my business.

Overall, I spent $4.60 on my lunch, and I thoroughly enjoyed the food.  I repeat this routine daily.  On rare occasions when I meet up with my friends, I will be 'generous' with myself on spurging more for good food amid good company.  No reason to be Scrooge all the time.

I believe my minimal lunch expense is one reason why I can save a significant portion of my salary for investment.  Do your daily habits support or detract you from achieving your financial goals?



Enjoyed this post? Never miss out new posts by subscribing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment